So we went apple picking this weekend and I have a serious overflow of apples! As I’m working on ways to eat all of these apples I stumbled upon this Harvest Apple Chicken Skillet and it sounded perfect! I will say right off the bat that this takes a lot of prep work. There are so many vegetables and ingredients to chop beforehand that you will need to make sure you set aside time for the prep. But once you’ve completed the prep, the cook time doesn’t take long at all!
As for taste, this is definitely a sweet and savory dish. I would say this dish is decent, but not in my top favorites. I love all the vegetables and the bacon and chicken addition. But the sauce wasn’t quite there for me. I think that a different sauce would take this dish to a whole new level! But still, it was a good dinner and a fun new recipe to try!
Overall Review: 3/5
Harvest Apple Chicken Skillet
- 4 Slices Bacon Chopped into 1/2 inch sections
- 1 pd Chicken Bite Size Pieces
- 1 Onion Diced
- 1 Sweet Potato Peeled and Diced
- 1 pd Brussel Sprouts Trimmed and quartered
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Jalapeno Diced
- 2 tsp Thyme
- 2 Apples Diced
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp Whole Grain Mustard
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Prep Ingredients: Bacon, Chicken, Sweet Potato, Onion, Brussel Sprouts, Garlic and Apples
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until crispy
- Once the bacon is done, transfer to a plate but keep the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the chopped chicken to the skillet and cook until golden about 7-8 minutes
- Once the chicken is cooked transfer to a separate plate
- Add onion, sweet potato, jalapeno, and brussel sprouts and cook until tender (10-15 minutes).
- Add garlic, thyme and chopped apples. Cook for about 1-2 minutes
- Add chicken broth.
- Add cooked bacon and chicken and combine.
- Add mustard, syrup, salt and pepper and combine. Let sauce thicken for 2-3 minutes
- Serve in a bowl and enjoy!