It’s been a long day, all you want is to sit on the couch and watch Netflix. At least that’s how I feel after a long day! But you still have to make dinner and you don’t want to eat a frozen meal. This is the recipe for those days. This chicken and dumplings soup is perfect for a busy evening where you don’t want to put in a ton of work.
The hardest part of this entire recipe is cutting the biscuits into 9 pieces, but beyond that you have to put in little to no work. And the payoff is worth it, this is a great meal that serves quite a bit of people. And the best part is you just have to buy a rotisserie chicken! You don’t have to put in the work of cooking the chicken yourself unless you want too! That is such a blessing on busy days!
Overall Review: 4.9/5
This chicken and dumplings recipe is good and definitely serves the purpose of being a quick and easy dinner. While it’s not homemade, in her book, Magnolia Table, she does have alternatives to make it homemade. You can substitute all the ingredients below with her homemade chicken broth, JoJo’s biscuits and Perfect Roast Chicken. All of which I plan to use in my next go around with this recipe. But the day I tried this I wanted to try the quick and easy option to see how it would taste. And it’s definitely worth it and worth the time it takes to make!
You can get her book and all her recipes at this link: Magnolia Table Cookbook. For more of my recipe reviews you can head over to the Recipe Reviews tab on the website. As always I hope you all are doing well and staying safe! xoxo – Kayla
Chicken & Dumplings
- 2 48-oz Cans Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 2 16.3 oz Pillsbury Grands! Southern Homestyle Original Biscuits
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 4 cups Shredded Chicken from a Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- In a large soup pot, pour in broth an bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce to simmer.
- Dust your work space with flour. Remove biscuits from can and seperate. Cut each one in thirds in one direction and then in thirds at a 90-degree angle. This makes the dumpling shape and should produce 9 pieces. Scrape pieces and flour into broth.
- Stir in half and half, chicken and salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently until heate through and dumplings are cooke. Takes 20-22 minutes to cook.
- Serve warm and top with crackled pepper!