I love french toast on a normal day, but on Christmas, I truly believe its a breakfast staple. This French Toast from the Magnolia Table cookbook (volume 2) is so easy to make but so tasty! I love the simple additions that take the flavor profile to the next level.
First things first, you need to start with the vanilla maple syrup. It takes 20 minutes of simmering to get the syrup completed so make sure that you start this first. It’s an extremely simple syrup to make so don’t worry about the difficulties, it’s just the timing you need to be aware of. Also, make sure to have a mason jar with you to store the syrup in as you will end up making more than you need for the french toast. I also went ahead and made the strawberry butter she mentions in the instructions. The strawberry butter is easy to make as well and adds a nice punch to your french toast. My suggestion is to start with the syrup and the strawberry butter, once those are completed, make your french toast so everything is ready to be assembled.
The only issue I had was not reading the strawberry butter instructions beforehand and whipping the butter on its own. But! It turned out nicely anyways and I’m happy with the taste. I chose to only make half the strawberry butter that it calls for and found that it was more than enough. If you opt to make the entire amount you will definitely have leftovers that you can use for toast or french toast in the following days.
Overall Review: 5/5
Overall, this recipe does have three parts to it, but the taste is amazing! You can premake the syrup and butter ahead of time and that will allow you to throw together the french toast and be good to go. I’m not going to lie and say that this is the best thing you will ever eat in your life, but it is a great french toast recipe and worthy of your time. I am interested in remaking the strawberry butter with raspberries as I think that would be a fun way to spruce up my next recipe. For more recipe reviews head to our page: Recipe Reviews.
Magnolia Table Volume 2: Order Here
French Toast with Vanilla Maple Syrup
- 12 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 Large Eggs
- 12 slices White Bread, brioche or challah 3/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup Vanilla Maple Syrup
- 6 tbsp Strawberry Butter
- Powdered Sugar Dusting
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Set a wire rack on a sheet pan.
- In a large skillet, heat 6 tablespoons of butter over low heat until melted
- In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon. Take your melted butter and pour over the cinnamon sugar mix and whisk to incorporate. Add the cream and vanilla and whisk until well incorporated. Add eggs and whisk until completely smooth (a few minutes). Set aside
- Heat the skillet on medium and add a tablespoon of butter to coat the pan.
- Without crowding the skillet, dip the bread in the batter mixture, coating all of the bread and letting the excess drip off.
- Place coated bread in the skillet and cook until golden brown (5-6 minutes total). You will need to flip halfway through. Once cooked, place on wire rack on sheet pan and place in oven to keep warm.
- Repeat for all slices of bread. Don't forget to coat the pan in butter after each batch.
- Once you are done, add a dollop of strawberry butter on your french toast and drizzle with the warmed vanilla maple syrup. Dust with as much powdered sugar as you like and enjoy!