One of my favorite bakery treats to go with my morning coffee is scones. They are the perfect complement to a piping hot cup of joe. My mom sent me this Blackberry Lavender White Chocolate Scones recipe from Half Baked Harvest and I knew I needed to try it ASAP! I think the hardest part of these scones was finding the dried lavender. I went to three different stores with no luck so I ended up ordering some on Amazon. Just an FYI as you go into this recipe and try to find all the ingredients. Additionally, the recipe isn’t hard to make but there are a few more steps than some of the other scones I’ve tried. I’d highly recommend reading through all the instructions once before starting so you know what the plan is.
My favorite part of these Blackberry Lavender White Chocolate Scones is that there are so many flavors in every bite. The tartness of the blackberry is offset by the white chocolate chips and the lavender glaze really brings all the flavors together. The original recipe calls for additional butter once the scones are done, I felt that the scones didn’t need butter with all the other flavors that are present. Of course, you are free to add anything to your scones, but I recommend leaving them as is, at least for the first bite!
Overall Review: 5/5
These scones were a huge hit with my husband and his co-residents! My husband is not a huge lavender fan, and the balance of flavors was absolutely perfect. The lavender is not overwhelming, and you can easily adjust how potent the lavender taste is based on your preference. If you love scones, I would highly recommend you make these Blackberry Lavender White Chocolate Scones. You will not be disappointed!
If you enjoyed this recipe review, check out the rest here: Cultivate Confidence Recipe Reviews.
Blackberry Lavender White Chocolate Scones
- Fine mesh strainer
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 12 tbsp Cold Salted Butter Grated
- 3/4 cup Cold Cream or Buttermilk
- 1 Large Egg Beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Blackberries
- 1/2 cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Dried Lavender
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 cups Powdered Sugar (I only needed 1)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add grated butter and toss in with the flour, doesn't have to be perfect, large crumbs is perfect. Add the cream or buttermilk and egg. I combined the beaten egg and cream first and then added to flour mix. Mix until just combined, DO NOT OVERMIX. Fold in the blackberries and white chocolate chips, expect blackberries to burst as you do this.
- Put dough on floured surface, pat into a 1-inch-thick square. Cut into 9 squares which will be your scones sizes. Place each square on a baking sheet and then brush a bit of cream on each scone. Do not overcrowd your baking sheet, do in batches if needed. Bake for 20-22 minutes until golden brown. You can test with a toothpick as well to be sure they are baked completely.
- For the glaze. Warm milk and butter in a small saucepan that's set over medium (low-medium) heat. Heat until steaming about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lavender. Then cover and steep for 5 minutes. Strain the milk through a fine mesh strainer and then discard the lavender. Stir vanilla and powdered sugar into your lavender mix.
- Serve warm with glaze drizzled on top. You can add a bit of butter, but these are great on their own!