Pumpkin rolls are one of my favorite fall desserts! Seriously, so many good flavors without being overpowering! In my opinion the pumpkin roll is the perfect compliment for Thanksgiving dinners and any holiday get together.
One thing I want to make a note about with pumpkin roll recipe is, apparently you need a jelly pan. A jelly pan is narrower and has thicker walls than a standard cookie sheet which helps to better make a better roll structure. However, I don’t have one of those pans so I improvised with a cookie sheet. It wasn’t the perfect shape, but it got the job done! So if you don’t have a jelly pan its okay! Just do the best you can with the cookie sheet you have.
For the actual pumpkin roll, its very simple to make. This recipe is from The Frugal Navy Wife and is simply amazing! She does a great job explaining the recipe and how to make a great pumpkin roll! From my experience, the ingredients and process aren’t difficult to follow it just takes a bit of patience. Making the pumpkin structure didn’t take a lot of work and the cooking time is 15 minutes. My biggest piece of advice is to take your time making the shape on the cookie sheet if using one. That way it comes out as close to a rectangle as possible. Also, I know her recipe doesn’t call for using a towel to help roll the pumpkin structure, but I found it helped me to keep the shape and prevent any cracking. If you find its difficult to roll straight out of the oven, I would use a small towel to assist you and keep things in the correct shape.
Next, the cream cheese mixture was super easy to make and set aside while the pumpkin roll structure cooked. I found it made plenty, if not too much, filling and tasted great with the pumpkin flavors in the roll structure. Overall, I found this recipe just took a lot of time and patience, but was worth every minute. The flavors are great and it makes plenty to go around! Even my husband who HATES pumpkin thought this recipe was good!
Overall Pumpkin Roll Review: 5/5
I would absolutely make this again, and hopefully next time I would have a jelly pan to help make my structure a bit cleaner! But for what I had in the kitchen this turned out exactly how I hoped and it tasted great as well! If you try this recipe let me know below in the comments!
Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin Spice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2/3 cup Pumpkin (puree) In a can
- 8 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 6 oz Butter softened
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium bowl add the flour, baking powder, pumpkin spice and salt. Whisk these together until combined
- In a larger bowl whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla (1 1/2 tsp) and pumpkin puree
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour on a prepared baking sheet (or jelly pan). I prepared it with parchment paper so it would come off easier.
- Bake for 15 minutes until set.
- While the pumpkin mixture bakes, in a medium bowl mix the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla(1 tsp) until light and fluffy. Set aside
- Once the pumpkin roll is done baking flip and remove the parchment. Using you hands or a towel, slowly roll into a tight pumpkin roll shape.
- Place on a wire cooling rack until the pumpkin roll is completely cool to the touch.
- Unroll and add the cream cheese mixture. Spread until even across the roll. Using parchment paper or cling wrap, roll the pumpkin roll into the roll structure and set in the fridge to cool for 1 hour.
- Once your roll is done cooling, take out and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into slices and enjoy!