Cranberries and jalapenos are two ingredients that were meant to coexist. I was looking for a new and unique dish for our Thanksgiving dinner this year. Since we couldn’t go anywhere due to my husband being call at the hospital and Covid, we had dinner just the two of us. So each dish was customized to be something that we would like. I was so excited about this cranberry jalapeno dip because it looks absolutely beautiful and can be made ahead of time!
So let’s get into this recipe! The ‘hardest’ part is that you need to hand chop the cranberries. If you put them in a food processor the dip won’t turn out correctly. It does require a good 20-30 minutes to chop up and entire bag of cranberries. Especially if you want them to not be too big in size. You will need to let the top part of the dip chill overnight before its topped on the cream cheese. But I think that’s what makes this dip so great. You can do almost all the prep ahead of time and just need 10 minutes to put the dip together in the morning.
As weird as these flavors might seem and as worried as you might be about trying it, please trust me, it’s worth it! Letting the top mixture sit overnight softens the cranberries and jalapenos and lets those flavors meld so that everything has this phenomenal flavor. Once it’s placed on top of the whipped cream cheese, any ‘spiciness’ is cut with the cream cheese flavor. To scoop out the dip I bought a box of Triskets and they paired beautifully with this cranberry jalapeno dip. The Triskets added to the flavor and didn’t overpower or change the taste of the dip. I’m sure there are other crackers that would work well, but Triskets are what I went with.
Overall Review: 5/5
Overall this is definitely a must make recipe for the holidays. I think that this cranberry jalapeno dip recipe is easy to make and looks good to boot. The taste is great even for those who aren’t big spice fans and is a perfect pre-dinner dip. If you do end up trying the recipe, let me know what you think in the comments below. And for more recipe reviews you can head to our reviews page: Recipe Reviews.
Cranberry Jalapeno Dip
- 12 oz Fresh uncooked cranberries
- 1-2 Jalapenos I left seeds in for more flavor
- 2 tbsp Cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 cup Green Onion
- 3/4 cup Sugar You can add more if you'd like
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 16 oz Cream Cheese Whipped
- Hand chop all the cranberries into bite size pieces
- Chop green onion, jalapenos and cilantro (if using)
- In a bowl combine cranberries, green onion, cilantro and jalapenos
- Add sugar, lemon juice and salt and lightly mix until combined.
- Cover and place in fridge overnight
- The next day take out the mixture and stir. Drain out the liquid using a collander.
- Whip softened cream cheese. I used a hand mixer to make it go quicker. I'd say it takes anywhere from 2-4 minutes to get to the right texture.
- Transfer the cream cheese to a circular pie dish and spread evenly on the bottom.
- Top the cream cheese with the cranberry jalapeno mixture. Make sure its evenly spread out.
- Keep in fridge until ready to eat. Serve with crackers and enjoy!