I can’t not bring something unique and different to a Friends-giving, it makes me crazy if I don’t! But I wanted something easier to make because I don’t have a lot of time with my daughter needing all my attention. So I found this quick but festive cheese log that fit the bill perfectly!
This pistachio and cranberry goat cheese log was such a unique take on the classic cheese ball. It does look more like a Christmas treat so it would be a perfect for a Christmas appetizer! It’s got thyme, rosemary, ginger, cinnamon and pepper in the goat and cream cheese filling along with the pistachio and cranberry blend. These flavors blend so well together and combined with the coating outside there’s lots of crunch to go with the creaminess of the cheese. I would highly recommend making this for a larger group as a little goes a long way. You will also need a real rigid cracker with this cheese log. My favorite crackers are the Ritz soft crackers but they all apart trying to cut through this log. Some good stuff crackers are what you are after. Be sure to get plenty as this cheese log is rich and will take a good chunk of crackers to eat!
Sometimes the best things to eat are the easiest things to make. This cheese log only takes about 10-15 minutes to actively make. Now, it does require a food processor or something similar to chop the pistachios and cranberries to the right consistency.
Original Recipe: Carlsbad Cravings
For more food reviews: Recipe Reviews
Pistachio Cranberry Goat Cheese Log
- Food Processor
Pistachio Cranberry Coating
- 1 1/4 cup Fresh Cranberries
- 1 cup Shelled Roasted, Salted Pistachios
- 7-8 oz Goat Cheese Log
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Cranberry Pistachio Coating (see above directions)
Pistachio Cranberry Coating
- Pulse the pistachio and cranberries. It's recommended to not make them too small but this is up to your discretion on how chunky you want your pieces to be.
- Take 1/2 cup of the coating and set in a bowl to be used in the cheese log.
- Add 1/2 cup of pistachio coating that we set aside. Add goat cheese, cream cheese, honey, and spices in a bowl and combine well.
- Take your cheese log mixture and place on a sheet of plastic wrap. Use this to help shape the cheese mixture into a log shape. I made mine around 10 inches or so in length.
- Place your wrapped log in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- On a large sheet of parchment paper spread the rest of your pistachio cranberry coating in a single layer. Place your cheese log on the coating and gently press and roll to get the coating evenly distributed.
- Once the coating is on, you can place your cheese log in the fridge until you are ready to eat later that day or the next day! Trust me when I say it is well worth the calories!
- Once you decide to serve the cheese log, drizzle te top generously with honey. This sweetness really brings everything together.