“We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work, it doesn’t matter. But work is third.” – Amy Poehler
Who doesn’t love a good homemade waffle?! I always think that homemade waffles are much lighter than out of the box or freezer. Makes the waffles easier to eat and it doesn’t feel like they sit as heavy in your stomach. These waffles with strawberry butter are one of my favorite recipes from the Magnolia Table Volume 2 cookbook. I opted to try them for dinner one night and they ended up being exactly what we wanted.
These waffles with strawberry butter are very light and airy. The waffles have a very different consistency than ones that come out of a box, they are more like a sponge cake texture than the thick batter you are used to with waffles. I will say that pairing these waffles with the strawberry butter and vanilla maple syrup makes all the difference. The strawberry butter and vanilla maple syrup aren’t too sugary as to overpower the waffle. Don’t get me wrong, there is plenty of sugar in this recipe, but it doesn’t taste like a mouthful of sugar. Which is why I do recommend taking the time to make the butter and syrup even if you have regular butter and syrup at home.
Overall Review: 4/5
The only reason I would give this recipe a 4 instead of a 5 is because folding in the egg whites just wouldn’t work. I don’t know if it’s on my end and I did something wrong or what, but I couldn’t get it to cooperate. I ended up having to use a whisk to get the egg whites to incorporate at all, which I’m pretty sure is a cooking sin! ha! But I did what I had to do to make it work and it still ended up tasting great! These are very light waffles, so I did end up eating more than normal just because they weren’t sitting so heavy in my stomach. So be aware, these waffles with strawberry butter can cause you to eat more than you planned!
The strawberry butter and the vanilla syrup recipe can be found in her cookbook which you can find here: Magnolia Table Volume 2. If you are interested in more recipe reviews, head to our page here: Recipe Reviews.
Waffles with Strawberry Butter
- Waffle Iron
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs Seperated
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Strawberry Butter (Magnolia Table recipe)
- Vanilla Maple Syrup (Magnolia Table recipe)
- Prep your waffle iron with cooking spray, and heat to medium heat.
- Using a sifter combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer and a separate bowl, mix the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stiff peaks take about 2 minutes and the peaks should stand straight up when you life the beaters.
- In a third bowl, mix the egg yolks, milk, oil and vanilla extract. Once combined add the flour and mix just until incorporated. It's important not to overmix your batter.
- Once mixed, fold in your egg whites. When I folded in the egg whites I found they wouldn't combine quite right, I ended up whisking them a bit to incorporate better. I'm sure that's a cardinal sin of cooking but they just wouldn't fold into the batter for me, so just be patient if you can!
- Waffles need about a 1/2 cup of batter poured into the waffle iron. Cook until the waffle is golden brown and be sure to spray cooking spray between each waffle.
- Serve with the homemade Strawberry Butter and Vanilla Maple Syrup.