These peanut butter cookies with blackberry jam was one of the first recipes I wanted to try when I got Giada’s cookbook. It was such an interesting concept adding the blackberry jam and I was curious to see what it would taste like. Let me preface this entire review by saying that I am 30 almost 31 weeks pregnant and my taste buds have been hit and miss at times. I will definitely make these again once the baby is here and my taste buds are a bit more normalized. But for now, here is my initial assessment of these cookies.
These are really easy cookies to make but they are BIG cookies. These are not small chocolate chip cookies, they are 1/4 cup cookies that flatten as you bake them. To give you a visual, one cookie will fit a small plate. My biggest issue with these was keeping the blackberry jam in the center. As they baked the jelly spread quite a bit. Additionally, the area where the jelly was got real thin and hard since from the liquid of the jelly. I double checked the recipe and it said that the jelly went in before baking, not sure if the cookie would turn out the same if you added the jelly at the end or even after baking. But this was one of the first issues I found. The other issue that I found was that the level of cocoa powder made that taste come through more than the peanut butter. So be prepared for quite a bit of cocoa powder taste when you make these cookies.
Overall Review: 3/5
When it comes to the taste of these peanut butter cookies with blackberry jam, they are honestly not my favorite. It’s not that they are necessary bad, they just aren’t great. I’m wondering if it would be better to do chocolate chips instead of cocoa powder? But overall they are good if you are looking for this specific taste. Later this year, I will try them again to update you and see if they taste better once my taste buds are back to normal. If you decide to try them let me know in the comments below.
For more recipe reviews head to our page here: Cultivate Confidence Reviews
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies with Blackberry Jam
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/8 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 8 tbsp Unsalted butter at room temperature Cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup Creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Packed light brown sugar
- 1 Large Egg Beaten at room temperature
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Blackberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment
- In medium bowl, sift or whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt
- In another bowl or mixer, beat butter, peanut butter, 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and all light brown sugar until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until blended. Gradually add flour and mix until just incorporated. Don't continue to mix once you can't see flour.
- In a small bowl place the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Form dough into 1/4 cup balls and roll in the sugar. Should make about 10 balls. Only place 5 balls on a baking sheet and make sure they have space between them.
- Use a 1/4 tsp to make an indentation in center of each ball (1/2 to 3/4 inch deep). Spoon a tsp of jam into each indentation
- Bake cookies for 11-14 minutes until cookies are crackled and dough has spread. Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to rack and then cool completely for 20 minutes before eating.