The perfect accompaniment to coffee is a chocolate dipped shortbread cookie! The buttery goodness of the shortbread cookies combined with the rich flavors of the chocolate make for the best cookie! I have been eating them every morning with my cup of coffee and its so good and worth every calorie. If you have a food processor these are easy to make and the recipe makes about two dozen cookies which is plenty for you and some friends!
Let me start this by saying that I do not own a food processor, which made for a very interesting cooking experience. I tried using a blender first, but that just did not work with the butter. The blender couldn’t combine the butter with the flour and just wasn’t giving me the texture I need. After a few tries, I decided to move to a bowl and use a handheld mixer. This worked way better but did not give the texture as described in the original recipe. However, the flavors and texture ended up being about the same and worked out to my benefit! So if you don’t have a food processor, using a handheld mixer will get the job done!
Overall Review: 5/5
Overall, the texture and flavor of these chocolate dipped shortbread cookies is perfect. They are everything you’d want in a cookie without being overly sweet. I highly recommend using a darker chocolate to keep the sugar intake lower. This will make for just the right amount of sugar in the cookie and won’t overpower the shortbread taste. I will definitely be making these again and would highly recommend them! If you do make them let me know if the comments below!
For the Magnolia Table Cookbook, you can find it on Amazon by following this link! Magnolia Table Cookbook
Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies
- 3 cups All purpose flour
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 pd Butter 3 Sticks at room temperature
- 4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 8-10 oz Chocolate Chips I used 60% cocoa
- 2 tsp Vegetable shortening
- In a food processer mix the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Cut the 3/4 pound of butter into small sections to help combine easier
- Add butter and pure vanilla extract to the food processor mixture and combine. Should come out as small clumps of dough
- Remove from food processor and place on a well floured surface
- Roll mixture into a ball and cut into two pieces
- Take one of the pieces and roll into a log about 10 inches in length and 2 inches in height
- Repeat for the second piece of the mixture
- Take a butter knife and cut into 3/4 inch pieces and set aside
- Place these pieces on 2 prepared baking sheets. (The baking sheets need to be lined with parchment paper). Be sure to keep the cookies 2 inches apart.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes until firm.
- Once the cookies are firm place in a 325 degree oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven. Let cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire cooling rack. Once on the rack let cool until room temperature.
- While the cookies finish cooling, take your chocolate chips and shortening and heat in a microwave at 20 second intervals until melted.
- Take cooled cookies and dip half into the melted chocolate and place back onto the cooling rack.
- Let the chocolate cool to room temperature and enjoy!
- Keep in an airtight container for the next few days!
For more Magnolia Table cookies, head here for our recipes!